Wednesday, June 19, 2013

May Day, May Day

When I was a kid, May 1st meant May Day and May Day meant May Baskets.  I remember coming home from school and working with my brother to make baskets and secretly deliver them to the neighbor kids.  Then I remember waiting for our doorbell to ring and trying to catch the kids who delivered baskets to our house.  

Because we finally lived in a neighborhood with kids and because the kids finally seemed old enough to grasp the concept, the kids I set to work on our first ever May baskets.

I set the girls to work making Happy May Day tags


and I put together some very simple baskets.


We popped some popcorn and got out the candy and filled them up together. 


 Then I sent them off, baskets in hand.


and a few minutes later they came running back.


Then it was off to the next place,


sneaking up the steps


and running for their lives after ringing the doorbell.


Theia ran so frantically that her shoe fell off.  I just happened to catch it on camera.  She and I couldn't stop laughing for quite sometime.  

We'll have to hone our sneaky skills in years to come.  I'm pretty sure they got caught at every house, which may have had something to do with the clueless two-year old involved.  It was fun to introduce them to this tradition and you can bet next year on May 1st, they'll be clambering to deliver May baskets to new, unsuspecting neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment