Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tickling the Ivories

I've been looking forward to starting piano lessons with the girls for sometime, but have been put off by the fact that we don't own an instrument.   As an anniversary gift this year, Joe agreed to let me buy a second hand keyboard that I felt would meet our needs for the years until we're ready for the commitment of a real piano. 

A week or two before Joey arrived, I loaded all the girls in the car one evening and headed to Virginia to pick up a keyboard from a posting on Craigslist.  The piano we purchased fit the financial bill and also met the sound/feel requirements I felt were must-haves in a keyboard.  

 

Last week our Music for Little Mozarts curriculum (a great preschool piano curriculum if you're in the market) arrived in the mail and we started our first piano lesson.


Part of the curriculum includes these two little animals, Beethoven Bear and Mozart Mouse, who journey through the book with the students.


Xandra is just the right age to absorb the curriculum and concepts.  She has really enjoyed, understood, and retained all of the things we have done thus far.


Theia is a little young, but loves to be a part of what we do.  Mostly she likes pushing buttons, keys, and playing with the animals.


Our first lesson covered hand position, seat position, high, low, up, down and glissando.  I'm not sure who had more fun, the girls or their teacher.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! When's the first recital going to be? Thanks for the curriculum recommendation. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I send Ferris to YOU? I have no piano skills...sigh.

    ReplyDelete