Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tree Hugger

Much to our delight, Tim usually tackles one home improvement project whenever he visits. He has restless legs and likes defying death, so on this visit, he single handedly cut down large portions of cedar trees in our front yard. The trees were hit hard by our snow storms this winter and never recovered.

He spent much of a day perched in the tree with a chainsaw like this. I generally avoided watching after these pictures were taken as I was near a heart attack. Mary calmly informed me that this is not unusual activity for Tim and that she stopped worrying about him long ago. It just seems like a bad idea to climb that high in a tree, with a chainsaw, and then proceed to cut the branch on which you are leaning. Call me crazy, but it seems dangerous.


Tim survived the day unscathed, but our damaged tree branches did not. We estimate his services saved us nearly $500 (this is how much a neighbor paid a tree service to remove her affected tree branches earlier this spring). We repaid his generous, hard work by allowing him to sleep on our couch for a week, feeding him somewhat edible food, and forcing him to be awoken by small children early each morning. Come to think of it, I think he got the short end of the stick!

We are now in the market for a gently-used, 10hp wood chipper to turn the piles and piles of branches into much-needed mulch for our yard.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are good at putting him to work. I'm glad he is ok. When I was younger, my grandfather fell out of a tree that he was cutting with a chainsaw and broke his back. So, I would have been worried too.

    ReplyDelete