Thursday, October 3, 2013

Change of Mind

Prior to Xandra's arrival, when I knew all about parenting and what I would and would not do, I simply knew that I would NEVER have a baby sleep in the same room as me and CERTAINLY never in my bed with me at night. 

 Then we had Xandra.  And I brought my tiny little baby home to our little two bedroom apartment in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota.  As I prepared to lay her in her bed that first night, I suddenly realized that I didn't WANT to put her in that big crib, all by herself, in a room so far away from mine (it was just a few steps across the hall).  As I shared my concerns with Joe, and cried and wept and generally acted irrationally (I do this with all my newborns, too (and some of the rest of the time, too)), he replied, 
"This is not a big deal.  She can just sleep in our room."   
I cried, "But we don't have anywhere to put her (we had no pack n play)."
He said, "Sure we do.  We can just put her in a laundry basket."
I can't remember what I said to him, but I definitely guffawed at his idea.  While I was guffawing, Joe went and found a basket, put some soft linens in the bottom and covered them with a blanket. Then he took Xandra from me, put her in the basket and declared, "Problem solved.   Now go to bed."  And I did, with my tiny little newborn right by the bed where I could compulsively check her breathing twenty times a night and hear every little squawk and snort all night long.  I was happy.

In fact, I liked it so much, I did it five more times with each of my newborns.

Xandra
It became a tradition for the kids to help make the new baby's bed.
 
Theia
It also served as a safe place for keeping small babies out of the reach of other young children.

Aliyah
 We carried the basket around the house and set it up on counters or couches where the other kids couldn't reach it.
 
Joey
  Cheaper than a bassinet.  Comfy for the baby.  Easy for momma.

Tikvah
  Besides, I haven't needed the laundry baskets.  

Isaiah
It's not like I have any laundry to do, anyway.

 By the way, all of my kids have slept a few nights in my bed next to me, too.  I guess a girl is allowed to change her mind now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment