Friday, May 14, 2010

Two is Better Than One

After the flower incident, I was pretty certain that was the end of Mother's Day gifts and cards for me. You can imagine my surprise then, when Xandra presented me with this beautiful card for Mother's Day. The above picture is the outside of the card. The green part is a ribbon bookmark that comes out for me to use. The picture below is the inside of the card.



When I read the inside, I gave the Sunday School teacher a hard time. I asked her if this was supposed to make me feel guilty? When she responded with a puzzled look, I informed her that I haven't actually done what was in the card. Xandra needs some new shorts/skirts/dresses for summertime and I'm waiting for garage sale season to arrive so I can get her outfitted for summer. Every morning when we get dressed we have the same discussion:

Xandra: "I want to wear a skirt."

Mommy: "I don't have any skirts for you. We have to get some."

Xandra: "But I want to wear a skirt today."

Mommy: "I'm sorry, Xandra, you're just going to have to wait."

Xandra: "But I don't want to..."

Maybe Xandra thought the sentence was, "I would love it if my mommy would..."


Since Mother's Day dawned sunny, windy, and chilly, our plans to repeat last year's picnic were quickly revised to lunch at Chili's (one of my favorites!) with some friends. I don't know where other families take their moms for Mother's Day, but it appears that most around here do NOT go to Chili's. The place was dead when we arrived for lunch. Yay for us!

While we were waiting for our lunch to come, the girls presented me with a card and present.

Xandra had a lot of fun explaining the different aspects of the card to me. Their names were on the front (above) and there were hearts, stars, and animals on the inside.


The animals, of course, were a platypus, bandicoot, and porcupine. See if you can find them on the card.

My present, while a bit out of the ordinary, was very much appreciated!

Any guesses as to what that is? It's something that pertains to my daily tasks as a mother and wife.

Yes, it's an oven rack. Two and a half years ago when we moved into our home we inherited an oven that only had one oven rack. This is somewhat annoying. It became even more annoying recently when I missed the perfect opportunity to score a free one from some friends who were remodeling their kitchen. They used to have the same oven as us and the day they got rid of their oven was the same day I thought to ask if I could have one of the racks. So close, but just a few hours too late! I've whined enough about this unfortunate event that Joe decided to put an end to my whining with a new-to-me oven rack. Now, if you disregard how dirty my oven is, doesn't that look much better?

Want to know the best part? I've already used it!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the new oven rack!! That's very exciting! Happy Mother's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go "garaging" with you!!!! I had a blast last summer. :-) Let's hope we can score as well as we did at that church sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Xandra just knows the secret of buttering-up :) It looks like you had a great Mother's Day. I haven't been to Chili's in ages so now I'm hungry for it. We went out for Mexican and it was empty as well. But when I went out with my mom at dinner, places were booked.

    ReplyDelete