Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pizza, pizza, pizza

As luck would have it, you can determine whether it's good luck or bad luck, my husband remembered his crazy little idea from last year, and in mid-September he drug the entire crew to the middle school track just up the hill from our hosue.  Everyone went.
 
 
Including Tikvah.
 
 
The first task, just like last year, was the 100 yard dash.

 
First Xandra,

 
then Theia,

 
then Aliyah,

 
then Joey,

 
it was a long way for those little legs to run,

 
a REALLY long way,

 
then Joe

 
and finally, after some stalling,

 
me.

 
I had some obstacles this year, even though I wasn't pregnant or in flip flops.

 
One was that Joey ran out in front of me and I had to dodge him and the other was that I couldn't stop laughing.  I just felt so silly and I couldn't stop laughing.  It's hard to run really fast and an almost impossible task when you're laughing.

 
The times shook out like this:
Xandra - 29.13 seconds
Theia - 30.45 seconds
Aliyah - 38.1 seconds
Joey - 60.03 seconds
Joe - 15.1 seconds
Trisha - 26.3 seconds
 
A few observations: 
1.  Joe was slightly faster than last year.
2.  I was still faster than the kids, but not by much.
3.  I was slower this year laughing with obstacles than I was 21 weeks pregnant, with flip flops in the dark.  Not my best work.
4.  The kids all improved from last year.
 
After running we took a break to do the long jump.





 
Then we ran the 1/4 mile.  I went first and had a great cheering section.

 
Then Joe ran

 
and everyone mostly ignored him.

 
Then Theia and I ran together

 
at a speed much more to my liking,


 
and Aliyah and I ran together,

 
at a speed I liked even better than Theia's,

 
and Joe and Xandra ran together

 
 because I was afraid I couldn't keep up with Xandra.

 
The 1/4 mile times were as follows:
Xandra - 2 minutes, 53 seconds
Theia - 3 minutes, 1.56 seconds
Aliyah - 3 minutes, 44.49 seconds
Joey - bye
Tikvah - bye
Joe - 1 minute, 14.23 seconds
Trisha - 2 minutes, 3 seconds
 
Additional thoughts:
1.  I like running. 
2.  I don't like running as fast as I can.  It makes me want to puke.
3.  There was no pizza after this year's time trials and I blame the lack of reward on my poor times.  If I'd just had something to motivate me, I'm sure I could have cut another three seconds off that 1/4 mile lap.
4.  Next year I vote reinstitute the Little Ceasar's Pizza tradition.
5.  Pizza, pizza, pizza.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to record the times for the next year. Pizza is definitely in order next time, though!

    ReplyDelete