Sunday, December 15, 2013

Harmless

Popcorn.  It's a harmless Sunday night tradition.  Popping corn, butter, salt.  Easy, delicious, simple. Well, at least that's how I envision things in my mind.  This is how they worked out one July evening:

It was time to make popcorn, as our Sunday night tradition dictates.  I threw a bag of microwave popcorn (this was my first mistake, we usually air pop) in the microwave to cook.   When the timer beeped, I removed the bag from the microwave.  Unfortunately, it had melted the top of the microwave food cover while it was popping.  Not a huge deal.  I could replace the cover easily.



When I put the next bag in, I set it right on the glass tray, making sure that the now melted plastic microwave cover was not in the microwave.  After a few minutes there was a loud noise.  When we opened the microwave door, we saw this:


My bag of popcorn had not only melted the microwave cover, but now it had cracked the microwave tray.  Not exactly something I was excited to explain to my in-laws when they came home.


At this point, I refused to pop anymore popcorn.  I told Joe that if there was more popcorn to be popped it would not be at my hand.  My husband, thinking this was crazy insisted that I pop another bag just to prove that I was not jinxed and that the thought that I could be jinxed was ludicrous.  So, after some persuasion, and against my better judgment, I placed the last bag of popcorn in the microwave, warning him that it wasn't a good idea.  A few minutes later, I looked in the microwave to see the bag of popcorn on FIRE!  


And I haven't popped a bag of popcorn since.


No comments:

Post a Comment